Saturday, October 10, 2015

What's Cooking?

Pumpkin Spice Latte Mug Cake

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons brewed espresso coffee or very strong coffee, room temperature
  •  1 tablespoon canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup Original Bisquick mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • Pinch of salt
  • Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving
  • Ground cinnamon, for serving


Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, beat melted butter, egg, espresso and pumpkin with whisk.  Add the sugar, Bisquick mix, pumpkin pie spice and salt.  Mix until incorporated; batter may be lumpy.
  2. Divide batter between 2 microwavable mugs.  Microwave uncovered on High for 2 minutes.  Cool a few minutes before serving.
  3. Top with whipped cream and/or ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.   
This recipe I chose to create is a new recipe.  My family has never had this before.  It may not seem like a family recipe because we have never had it, but it is.  My family is always trying  new recipes and experimenting with substitutes.  Making a new recipe is the equivalent of making a family recipe in my family.

I began by making a homemade Bisquick.  (The only time we run out of Bisquick is when we desperately need it, of course!)  As I worked on step one, the smell of pumpkin filled my nose.  I am not a fan of pumpkin, so it is kind of funny I chose this recipe.  The smell is strong and I stretch out my arms to get it as far away from my body as possible.  My arm gets tired as I stir the ingredients.

I pour half the mix in one mug, and the other half in another mug.  It spills over the edge and drips onto my finger and the counter. 

Soon, it is all mixed together.  Unlike the recipe states, the batter is not lumpy. 

I put the mugs in the microwave for two minutes.  As they are cooking, I wash all the measuring cups and bowls I used while baking.  




I take the mugs out of the microwave.  They are too hot to hold.  I guess they weren't microwavable!  I quickly set them on the counter.  I stick a knife in the middle to make sure it has cooked completely.  The cake is spongey against the force of my finger.  

I carefully scoop a beautifully-rounded spoon of vanilla ice cream and add a hint of cinnamon.

My pumpkin spiced latte mug cakes are ready to be served.  It was a big success.  Everyone in my family liked it.  Even I had a few bites!  With the heat of the cake and the cold of the ice cream, the temperature in my mouth was perfect.  I could taste the pumpkin, of course, along with the cinnamon and strong coffee.  I will be making this again!






No comments:

Post a Comment