Friday, September 18, 2015

10 Big and Small Things to be Grateful For

Have you every heard that saying, "Imagine waking up with the things you said you were thankful for yesterday."  I wouldn't be waking up with much, that's for sure!

It is so easy to take things for granted.  Not until I sit down and think hard do I realize how blessed I am and how grateful I should be.  Even the smallest things that are a part of our lives are a luxury in other countries.  Things like a toothbrush or a pair of socks.  How about a pillow or a book?  I am rich beyond means when I realize the luxuries I have.  How could I forget how blessed I am?

So, here are ten big and small things to be grateful for.

1) The ability to read
Curling up with a book is one of my favorite things to do.  That was made possible by having the teachers that taught me how to read.

2) Sunshine
Everyone experiences sunshine.  There is nothing quite like the feeling of sun rays against your skin.  Imagine if the sun was slightly closer.  We would burn.  And if it was slightly farther?  We would not be warm enough.

3) Clean Water
I can access clean, drinkable water 24/7.  There is never a limit to how much water I am able to access.  It is always there and it is always clean.

4) Tears
Sometimes when I have no words, tears bring out what I am feeling.  Crying always refreshes me and cleanses my mind.

5) Employment
There is a job in America for every citizen.  Without my job, I would not have a cell phone.  I would not be getting a car.  I would not have food.  A job is a necessity to provide for myself.

6) Electricty
You never realize how much you rely on this until the power goes out.  You habitually turn a light on or turn the TV on.  It doesn't work.  Now what are you going to do?  All your free-time hobbies include electricity.  It's easy to forget.

7) Air Conditioning
Summers are hot in most of America.  AC is used all over the country.  We rely on AC to cool us off.  When the AC breaks, we are miserable.  Lots of people don't have any AC.  They manage just fine.

8) Modern Medicine
Illnesses are easily preventable because of the access to medicine we have.  We are able to cure a lot of small illness with a simple dose of medication.  We don't have to worry about dying over a small sickness because we trust out doctors.

9) Hiking Trails
Such a simple thing.  We get fresh air, exercise, and the opportunity to enjoy the beautiful land God created for us.

10) Soldiers
People willing to fight for our freedoms are something to be thankful for.  This is no small thing for them to leave their friends, family, and comforts of home. These people risk their lives for us.  These people lose their lives for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment