Monday, September 14, 2015

Pet Peeves



What is a pet peeve?  Pet peeves are annoyances specific to a person.  One person may have a pet peeve that other people do not find annoying.  Pet peeves are unique to each person.  Pet peeves are interesting as they can change throughout the years.  Things that used to annoy me may not bother me as much anymore. 

My sister hates the sound of typing.  She will leave the room just so she doesn’t have to deal with that sound.  How did this come about?  We’re not sure.  But, she feels strongly enough about it that she will change her location.  Pet peeves change the way we react.  We lose patience and get irritated.  Our reactions reflect how strong of a pet peeve we have towards this particular thing. 

I have it when people act like they know what they are talking about when, in reality, I know they have no idea.  This makes me want to not trust them.  If I know all about a subject, they can pretend they know all about it too, but since I really do know all about it, I’ll know that they are just faking it.  I don’t enjoy watching people act like something they aren’t.  I want people to be themselves with me.  I want them to tell me what they know so I can learn from them.  I like helping people and being a good listener and having a shoulder for them to cry on.  When they think they need to be a certain kind of person around me, it hurts my feelings.  I know I have this pet peeve because it makes me feel as though they don’t want my friendship.  It feels like a personal attack. 

Does everyone know where their pet peeves come from?  I can’t think of all my pet peeves.  I seem to discover new pet peeves all the time.  Only do I know a pet peeve exists when I experience its annoyance.  It is so fascinating that people have different pet peeves based on their interests, hobbies, likes and dislikes.  We are all so unique.  This is just more piece of evidence that that is true.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment