Tuesday, September 22, 2015

More Thoughts on The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore

We are half way through reading The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore.  I find it hard to set the book down.  I am scared to keep reading about Wes Moore going to jail and not escaping.  I am excited to read about Wes Moore finding his purpose in life and leaving his bad childhood behind him.

These characters have captured my thoughts.  I wonder what it would be like it I grew up in the same neighbor they did.  I cannot imagine living in fear every day.  I am curious why it was so hard to leave their home.  Why didn't their families pack up and move somewhere safer?  Maybe it was a lot harder for them then it seems.  It seems easy to me, but I am not the one that has to actually do it. 

I wish there was a book from the mothers' points of view.  Mary and Joy suffered plenty with their children's behavior.  I'm sure both mothers felt they didn't do a good enough job raising their sons.  In reality, their sons rejected their mother's warning.  At the same time, both Wes Moore's favorite people were their mothers.  Mary and Joy may not have felt loved, but were both loved and relied on very much.


For Wes, his life was changed when he was sent to military school.  He matured there.  He was shaped into a responsible, respectable man.  For the other Wes, he never had to opportunity to mature.  He never left the bad influences in his life long enough to mature.  He had chances.  They both did.  One Wes took the chance to change.  The other Wes ignored the opportunity.  Was it his fault he ended up in jail?  I would say so.  Should he blame himself?  I would.  Has jail changed him?  I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment