Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My Home Makes Me Think Of...


1) My family

Where my family is is where my home is.  We have moved several times throughout my childhood.  My house itself has not been consistent.  But, my home is always the same.  I come home.  I relax.  I cry.  I scream.  I hug.  I eat.  I sleep.  I go to the bathroom.  I do everything at home.  Can I do these things elsewhere?  Sure, I can.  Does it give me the same feelings as at home?  Of course not.  There is an atmosphere my home offers that is not found anywhere else.   

2) My dog

He is an inside dog.  He has three favorite spots in the house.  Coming home, I know I will find him in one of these spots.  Most of that time, he is too lazy to meet me at the door.

3) Food

I really love food.  Especially when my entire family is home and we all eat together.  We talk lots over our meals.  It ranges from plans being made to theology.  There is no limit to the topics we cover.  My mom cooks for us.  When she has to work late, I cook and it's ready by the time she comes home.

4) Sleeping

My mattress is old.  It's not comfortable.  But, it's still my mattress.  I still sleep on it every night.  I've screamed on it.  I've cried on it.  Many, many years ago, I wet it.  It is an object of many memories. 


I could go through many objects in my house that make me think of home.  All my furniture, my clothes, the walls.  It is all associated with one memory or another.  Eventually I will not have all the stuff I have now.  They are just objects.  They'll break or get thrown away.  I have to anchor my home in something permanent.  Which is why my family is my number one thought when I think about home. 

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I love writing about home and hope you do as well. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete